View Single Post
Old July 11, 2012, 11:38 AM   #19
They are hollow grips so they are rare then?
Genuine S&W hard rubber or gutta percha stocks are flat on the inside where they fit up against the grip frame. IOW they are a solid piece except where needed to clear the frame and mechanism.

If the inside contour is hollow and follows the outside contour- i.e. the material is a fairly uniform thickness and is not flat against the grip frame- they are modern reproductions made from injection molded plastic; see posts #15 and #16. These are basically worthless by themselves and subtract some value from the gun as they are not factory-original. However, if it's any consolation, the loss of collector value will be minimal on a gun that is in rough shape otherwise.

Even if the grips are factory, they are visibly damaged and therefore are not worth a whole heckuva lot (+1 Win73). AFAIK the only I frame stocks that really get collectors' attention by themselves are (a) genuine factory mother-of-pearl, which get into 4 figures(!) if they're pristine, and (b) the rare mottled blue-and-red hard rubber.

That said, ALL decent factory I frame stocks have some value because the grip frame was lengthened in 1952; factory stocks made after this date can be mounted on an earlier gun but very obviously don't fit properly at the bottom.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules... MARK IT ZERO!!" - Walter Sobchak
Page generated in 0.03457 seconds with 7 queries