View Single Post
Old July 8, 2012, 02:29 PM   #42
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikld View Post
I would suggest (and mebbe I'm alone in this) that you consider learning safe reloading habits/methods rather than choose components by "if I make a mistake". Use the powder that best suits your intended purpose with the bullet of your choice, and learn how to reload it safely.

I check every powder charge in every case I reload. I visually inspect every case before I seat a bullet. And there are other "tricks" to safe powder charging; my sized/primed cases are sitting in one reloading block on the bench and as each one is charged, it is set in another reloading block. Then before I seat the bulets I pick up the block and either use a Mini-Maglight or bright desk lamp, look in every case. There's a bunch of methods/quirks to making sure only one powder charge gets in each case, an I'm sure some will be added (flip-flop cases, powder check dies, etc.)...
I don't think any one is suggesting that bulky powders are a replacement for safe practices. They're just one more layer of safety. There's no way I would take the time to set aside all my charged cases and look in them with a flashlight. I want a powder I can see on the press, before I seat the bullet. I don't handle my brass 2, 3, 4 times before I'm done. I put a case in my Lee Classic turret and 4 pulls later it's a finished round. I wouldn't use a powder I couldn't check "on the press".

Page generated in 0.03953 seconds with 7 queries