View Single Post
Old July 6, 2012, 08:05 PM   #63
orionengnr

Quote:
You noticed that too.
Yep.
Quote:
Moving up in capacity obviously improves your odds, but you can't get carried away in that direction because it's not terribly likely that you'll be able to take advantage of a huge round count in the few seconds a gunfight typically lasts.
This is where the rubber meets the road for me. In assuming worst-case scenarios, if there are two or more assailants, they are not going to stand around waiting their turn. If I am lucky enough to get off the first shot before the BG(s), there is no reason to believe I will get off an unchallenged second...let alone the first 13-15.
For that reason, more than any other, I am more focused on carrying what I shoot best, and making those first shots count.
Quote:
Improving the hit rate probability (sharpening shooting skills) clearly helps, but only if you have the capacity available to take advantage of it. For example, even a very impressive 70% hit rate only gives you a 53% chance of scoring 2 or more hits on each of 2 opponents if you're armed with a 5 shot handgun. On the other hand, if you can achieve just a 50% hit rate with a 9 shot handgun, your odds of success are 75%.
And there you go. Frequent practice with something I shoot well is far more productive and confidence-inspiring than a large capacity and a lousy trigger and a marginal caliber.

YMMV, and probably will.
With luck, this will be an intellectual exercise for most of us, for the rest of our lifetimes.
If my luck runs out, I have made my bed, and will lie in it.

Best regards, Rich

Page generated in 0.04232 seconds with 7 queries