View Single Post
Old June 28, 2012, 04:17 PM   #2425
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
One of the many problems I had with this story is that the reporter continually used subjective adjectives (weak, ineffective) to describe gun laws or penalties for violating them; but didn't share the actual laws with the reader. For example, she states there is no federal firearms law for trafficking firearms; but she doesn't tell the reader that it is illegal to knowingly transfer a firearm to a prohibited person (nor does she mention how FBI rigged the NICS system to sell directly to prohibited people). She tells the reader about straw purchasing very loosely but says the penalties are "weak." She doesn't tell the reader that you can get up to 10 years in a federal prison for it. She blames the NRA for not allowing "a centralized database of firearms sales (i.e. registration), which tends to make her bias a bit apparent to me.
And I assume that's technically up to ten years per count, so a guy who acted as a straw buyer for 20 guns could (in theory) be facing 200 years if convicted on all counts and the sentences were imposed to run consecutively rather than concurrently ...

Page generated in 0.03897 seconds with 7 queries