View Single Post
Old June 18, 2012, 08:03 PM   #12
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I have gone through a number of experiments to come up with my own 32 S&W Long loads for 100 year old Colt New Police revolver that keep following me home from gun shows.

I have resolved on:
a) 6.5 gr 800X 85 gr Hornady JHP 1.3"
b) 13 gr LIL'GUN 85 gr Hornady JHP 1.3"

That gets me the most recoil and the least pressure sign.

3 times with those old revolvers I have blown the forcing cones out. When the are TIG welded together again with drill rod for a forcing cone, they will not blow out again.

I am also getting wide variations in velocity with LIL'GUN.
14 gr varies from 1275 fps to 1413 fps.

In order to have the most combustion volume, I seat at the maximum that will fit, 1.3".

Becuase of the high recoil, the bullets will pull out of the case, so I need a good crimp. There is no cannelure where I want to crimp.

I have made a bushing to put the loaded cartridge inside a Lee .308 factory crimp die UPSIDE DOWN

Someone else who went through a similar process of making up his own 32 S&W long hot loads, tells me I should move up to heavier bullets.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?

Page generated in 0.04091 seconds with 7 queries