View Single Post
Old June 14, 2012, 05:40 PM   #36
Hansam

Quote:
typically a one owner dog- will attach to the one who cares for him.
not really a family dog. needs something to do in life to be happy.
Absolutely not true at all. Its all about how you handle your dog. People will say this breed is a one person dog/not a family dog or that breed is etc. Frankly that's just ignorance talking. If you allow the dog to be that way he/she will be that way. The same goes for certain dogs not liking men/women etc. Again if you allow them to get that way they'll be that way. Don't let them get that way and you won't have a problem. Again it's all a matter of training and not the dog itself.

Dogs ARE people animals. That's what was bred into them. Some breeds are inherently more independent than others but in the end they NEED people and interaction with people. Over hundreds of years they have been bred to instinctively consider humans part of their pack. Can they survive without people? Yes - well some breeds could, some breeds would just die out. They won't be what we'd consider well mannered examples of dogs though.

Quote:
If this is not going to be a hunting dog, go to the pound or humane society. \

No reason to shell out big bucks for a specialized animal when a mutt can do the job just as well.
I used to support the Humane Society and I do applaud their efforts however I just cannot support them now. Some of their practices are questionable and they're caving into the more idiotic rescues out there that are trying to save EVERY animal from euthanization. Most dogs that end up in the pound or Humane Society have problems - sometimes these problems cannot be found through normal testing methods. Some of these problems are quite severe yet they (Humane Societies and other rescue organizations) are still trying to place them out to new homes. I just can't support this.

I was going to volunteer at a nearby Humane Society location - walking dogs, cleaning kennels etc. and when I saw all the dogs with "Do Not Walk" or "No Children" signs on their kennels I had to ask about them. Apparently those dogs are so vicious that they cannot be walked or are dangerous to children because they are aggressive toward children. Many of them had already bitten people. When I asked why they were not euthanized and why they're still trying to place them out to homes the answer simply was, "Every dog deserves a good home!" I walked out of there and haven't looked back since.

I personally advise against getting a dog from the Humane Society. The money you save getting a dog from there or other such rescues (which by the way isn't really that much less compared to getting them from a reputable breeder) won't be worth the headaches you'll have when the dog shows its true colors. Oh and about the cost of dogs from rescues and such - they can go for as much as $600+ dollars! For that amount or even for $300 I'd go with a reputable breeder and get a puppy that I know came from good bloodlines with a good health guarantee.

Oh and a lot of rescues will try to rationalize their high fees by saying that they're a non profit organization and that they are running at max capacity already in fact they have a surplus of pets that need homes. Well frankly that means they're doing something wrong. I once heard a member of one rescue's board state proudly that they deny at least 90% of people who apply for adoption of a pet from their organization. How is that a good thing? Oh and just out of curiosity I applied for an adoption from them and was denied. The reasons: 1. I had young children. 2. One or more adult in the home works outside of the home for more than 8 hours at a time. 3. I had one or more un-altered (not spayed/neutered) dog in the house.

The sad part is that I'm a dog trainer and am more qualified to handle/adopt dogs than most people who apply... just how do they think they're going to get rid of their excess animals since they don't believe in euthanization?

Page generated in 0.04854 seconds with 7 queries