View Single Post
Old June 11, 2012, 07:26 PM   #4
NYS gun laws can be/are far too restrictive and complicated. I started my career as an LEO before my 21st birthday (at that time, minimum age was 18, don't know if that has changed). Small town, part-time Officers only. Full peace/police authority on duty and off. MPTC qualified, annual re-qual at the PD's range, etc. All officers had to provide their own sidearms, meeting the Dept. criteria.

Although I was a "Full-Fledged Sworn Officer of the Law", I had to have my uncle purchase my sidearm for me, because an FFL holder could not sell handguns to LEO and CCW holders under the age of 21. This, I believe, remains the same, although permit applicants must now be 21 years or older.

Your interpretation of our handgun law is correct, and you are well served by leaving the cap & ball at home. If however you are under the immediate supervision and control of a permit holder or LEO, you would be permitted to fire their sidearms. Enforcement, however, varies greatly from one jurisdiction to the next. Better safe than sorry.
Page generated in 0.07385 seconds with 7 queries