View Single Post
Old June 2, 2012, 10:58 PM   #12
DepOne, re Post 10: Going on 22 years of trying to teach de po-po to shoot. Just to clarify, I support committing the operation, shooting and reloading of the gun to the subconscious and my comment about conditioned responses was aimed at that attaining that goal.

And yes, I have seen the Ghosts of Other Ranges visit mine. I still have new guys who shoot 2-3 rounds with the gun extended and then pull it into their breastbone and 'scan'... on a 10 round exercise. I had another cat who insisted on moving with a scattergun pointed directly at his feet because some academy instructor told him it was 'tactical' and he'd be glad he learned it when he got on the SWAT team. I had to explain to him that shooting one's self in the foot was hardly ever the correct solution to a tactical problem. Less than 60 days later, that very thing happened on a State range.

I run a hot range. You show up just like you work, grab ear & eye cover and walk out with and shoot with whatever you're wearing. I don't tell you when to reload. If I have to trust you on a robbery call, I had better be able to trust you on the range.
“Nine-tenths of tactics are certain, and taught in books: but the irrational tenth is like the kingfisher flashing across the pool, and that is the test of generals. It can only be ensured by instinct, sharpened by thought practicing the stroke so often that at the crisis it is as natural as a reflex.” ~ T. E. Lawrence
Page generated in 0.09090 seconds with 7 queries