View Single Post
Old May 16, 2012, 05:28 PM   #21
And the winner is..................

Thanks to everyone who so graciously provided input on my chrony problem. I just got back from the range where I applied some of the suggestions I received. First I loaded five 10 packs of rounds with various COAL's. Some had been fireformed and some were new brass which I FL sized. All were otherwise previously established loads. I grabbed my faithful old .22 semi auto rifle and some ammo for it.

At the range I set up my chronograph as far as I could without dragging the display into the dirt in front of the bench. Once I had my target set up I set up and aligned the chrony. I fired 10 shots through it with the .22 to see if it appeared to be functioning properly. It gave me a spread of about 40 FPS on 10 rounds so I figured that was probably o.k. for old ammo in a wore out 22.

Next I anxiously grabbed some of my handloads and hoped for good news. Well, out of the 5 loads I got what I consider to be great news. The bullet seating depth was the issue. In the extreme range catagory I got 2 31's, a 40, a 65 and an 81. This is not great but it is FAR better than I was getting.

So now I have at least (with the help of all you nice people out there) identified an issue I can work on. Now it's time to get back to the bench and do some more loading.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Guns don't kill people, fathers with pretty daughters do.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three comes pretty close.
Proud NRA member
Page generated in 0.04510 seconds with 7 queries