View Single Post
Old May 7, 2012, 09:29 AM   #35
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Pfleuger
I prefer government to work on known and significant problems. Fixing "theory" is a big source for unreasonable, burdensome laws with dramatic unintended consequences and no real benefit.
I prefer government to stay out of problems, they are often the source.

The difference between you and I, is that I don't think the guide requirement is a problem. I believe it is a benefit to the state and the residents of that state.

Alaska government's responsibility is to look out for their residents' best interests. Having every yahoo that can afford the plane ticket up there clamoring to hunt a species they have little to zero (often the latter) experience with is not what the voters in AK want.

Where else would people like yourself have the opportunity to hunt grizzly/brown bears? Very little to zero here in the Lower 48. Which amounts to the fact that most people would have no idea what they were doing, where they were going, what species (brown bears and black bears are often difficult to tell apart unless you know what you're doing), how to kill it, what to do with it once it's dead, what to do if you shoot it and it doesn't die (runs off and you have to track it)...

There are just to many variables involved and requiring a guide for hunting them is Alaska's way of covering their hindparts and protecting their resource.

Like I said before; if you don't like it, move up there, establish residency, and do something about it. Until then, you can vote with your tourism dollars and stay away from AK if it bothers you that much. I'm sure that will just annoy the heck out of the residents who are already drowning in tourists...

I don't patronize businesses in or visit New York for the simple fact that my 2ndA rights are not recognized there. Ditto for NJ, IL, MA, HI, CA, DC....
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.

Page generated in 0.04259 seconds with 7 queries