California Training Expedition
April 1-7, 2006
“If the history of gunfighters would ever be written, Jim Cirillo would be up there with Wild Bill Hickok, Wyatt Earp, and Bat Masterson.” -- Massad Ayoob
· Modern-Day Gunfighter/Instructor
· NYPD Stakeout Squad Top Guns (Involved in 17 Gunfights!)
· 15 years teaching at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center
· Taught US Marshals, Border Patrol, and other High Risk LEO’s
· Author of Secrets of a Master Gunfighter, Jim Cirillo: Modern Day Gunfighter, and Guns, Bullets & Gunfights
“Anyone signing up for training with Louis Awerbuck has made a very wise choice. He is a certified master of the art.” -- Col. Jeff Cooper
· President and Director of the Yavapai Firearms Academy
· Former Chief Rangemaster for Gunsite Firearms Academy under Col. Jeff Cooper
· Author of Defensive Shotgun, Hit or Myth, Tactical Reality, Only Hits Count
· 30 years Defensive Firearms Training with Military, Law Enforcement, & Civilian Clients
· Contributing Editor for SWAT magazine
· Member, IALEFI (Int’l Assoc. of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors), ASLET (American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers, ILEETA (Int’l Law Enforcement Educators and Trainers Assoc.), and NTOA (National Tactical Officers Assoc.)
Sheriff Ken Campbell
“I consider Ken to be a great American, a proficient and highly competent instructor and a motivated and professional cop.” -- Pat Rogers (SWAT Magazine)
· Newly-elected Boone County Sheriff, Central Indiana, Over 25 Years Law Enforcement Experience
· Special Response Team Commander & Chief Rangemaster
· Recipient of community’s “Police Officer of the Year” and “Medal of Valor”
· Adjunct Instructor for the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy for courses including: Firearms Instructor, Patrol Carbine Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Precision Rifle.
· Instructor Certification in several less-lethal applications including Oleoresin of Capsicum, Sage International, Taser and others.
· Affiliated with Gunsite Academy Inc. since 1990
California Training Expedition
This unique, custom-tailored course offers firearms training by some of the most highly respected instructors in the industry. Bridging the gap between one of the best-known first-generation combat shooters and leading instructors of the next generation, this course aims to show that the more things change, the more they stay the same…
This “advanced” course assumes the student is capable of performing all the basic gunhandling, marksmanship, and tactics drills taught in rigorous shotgun and pistol courses On Demand, including shooting on the move, weapon retention shooting, a weak-hand drawstroke, and weapon transitions with two pistols.
After a brief review, this course continues with exploring one’s close-range weapon potential in an enclosed environment such as a car or home. Emphasis will be placed on close-range tactics with both the shotgun and handgun (close-range shooting, increased speed, takeaways, weapon retention, one-handed manipulation and operation, back-up weapon transition) Stakeout Setup and Staging, alternative aiming methods, handgun ergonomics, impaired vision drills, and downed/injured defender survival will be explored. Vehicular shooting, moving target systems (Enhanced Mirage, Chargers, Laterals), and dim-light/nighttime shooting will continue to challenge the student. Beginning with Col. Cooper’s Color Codes, the course will emphasize problem solving with situational assessment, verbal skills, and de-escalation techniques that may warrant a no-shoot situation. This will culminate in a series of training scenarios with Airsoft weaponry, potentially force-on-force, or non-firing verbal de-escalation.
Prerequisites: Training from specific recognized instructors (or approved equivalent) in Shotgun and Handgun are ABSOLUTE prerequisites for this course.
· Chief Engineer and Designer of the Valtro 1998A1 .45 ACP Pistol
· Custom Gunsmith/Gunbuilder
Mr. Jardine will discuss the ramifications of common gunsmithing repairs/customizations, good and bad, on handguns and tactical long guns. His experience in both the manufacturing and customizing of firearms are invaluable for the serious gunfighter who must have a gun that will go “bang” everytime.
· Certified Instructor under Ted Wong in Bruce Lee’s Jeet Kune Do
· Student of the late Sonny Umpad, Visayan Style Philippine Martial Arts
· Student of Small Arms Training
Mr. Gong is one of the least-known “martial artists” in the world, and he likes to stay “low-key.” He will hopefully be able to show you how to use your knife without stabbing or cutting yourself! No prerequisite required…
April 1-7, 2007 (Sun Afternoon – Sat Noon)
Course: Close Quarters Tactics/Problem Solving
Ammo Requirements: 1000 Handgun
300 Birdshot, 100 Buckshot, 100 Slugs
Mandatory Back-Up Gun & Gear (300 Rounds)
Airsoft Weaponry and Safety Equipment
Rubber Training Knife (Optional Folder Trainer)
Live Edged Weapon (Fixed and/or Folder)
Limited Enrollment Available!! First Come, First Served.
Please sign up early: Registration Deadline February 28, 2007
For more information: Check out YFA’s Website: http://www.yfainc.com
Email Tommy Gong for Information:
YFA, ITTS, or AWT (Walt Marshall) Stage 1 Pistol and Shotgun Courses are highly recommended prerequisites for this course, since it is assumed that the student is capable of performing all typical exercises in these courses ON DEMAND.
APPLICATION FOR TRAINING
1. Please reserve ________________ space(s) for me in California Training Expedition
Date: April 1 - 7, 2007 (Sun Aft-Sat Noon) Location: Modesto, California
2. I enclose my deposit of $300.00 per space. I will pay the balance of my tuition upon registration. (Please make checks payable to YAVAPAI FIREARMS ACADEMY, LTD.) I understand that if I must cancel out of a class I will receive a full refund if I give at least 30 days notice. If I give less than 30 days notice I will forfeit my deposit, or it will be held by YFA as deposit for a future class.
3. I agree to abide meticulously by all safety procedures required of me and I understand that my instruction may be terminated at any time during the course if I fail to cooperate with safety requirements. I further agree to sign a statement releasing YAVAPAI FIREARMS ACADEMY, LTD. from responsibility for any injury I may sustain during the training program.
4. I agree to sign a sworn statement that I have never been convicted of any crime, at any time, in any jurisdiction.
5. In signing this application, I certify that I will be at least 18 years of age at the time of the class, or will be accompanied by my parent or legal guardian.
NAME (Please print) _________________________________________________________________
City _____________________________________ State ______________ Zip ___________________
Daytime Telephone _______________________ EMAIL ____________________________________
Enclosed is my deposit of $ __________
Prerequisite Classes Taken: ___________________________________________________________
Make, model and caliber of weapons you plan to bring ______________________________________