View Single Post
Old April 12, 2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

ChuckS, there's a thread in Tactics & Training you can check out that covers some of the logistical issues.

As far as legal issues, the author is correct.

Quote:
Is criminal activity AND attack both necessary to invoke applicability?
No, but the law allows intervention in the case of a forcible felony. Jaywalking or trespassing don't allow for the use of lethal force.

Quote:
I do know "fisticuffs" can be deadly. Does it require a trial and jury to define what a reasonable person response to fisticuffs is in every case?
I have a friend who's an expert in several martial arts. He's testified in a couple of lethal force cases that yes, fisticuffs can be deadly, and that lethal force can be a rightful defense in some cases.

It'll be different from situation to situation. An NFL linebacker probably won't be as threatened by a guy my size swinging his fists, but if the situation were reversed, I'd probably have a valid argument that lethal force was justified.

Nonetheless, we'd need a jury to determine that. Homicide, justified or not, always merits scrutiny.

Page generated in 0.04454 seconds with 7 queries