View Single Post
Old April 10, 2012, 11:29 AM   #46
Archer 9505

It's the Bill of Rights not Bill of Neccesities

What does it mean to live in a free country?
Is there real meaning behind the cliché "It's a free country isn't it"?

Lots of people engage in activities that have no apparent necessity; Sky diving, stamp collecting, auto racing, bird watching etc.

In a free country we don't have to prove "Necessity" in order to pursue our own particular brand of happiness.

I have always believed that in a "Free Country" one person's rights end only where they begin to infringe upon another's.

The burden of proof (IMHO) is on the person that thinks private ownership of machine guns is unnecessary and should be abolished. That person needs to make the case that private ownership of class three weapons somehow infringes on the rights of others (IMHO there is no case). Necessity is an irrelevant argument.

Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The 2nd amendment is to ensure that the people have the means and ability to defend their selves when their government is un-willing or unable.

Quote:
You take from me my life, when you do take from me the means by which I live
- W. S. The quote is metaphorical. Does a right exist with out the means to ensure that right?

The "Necessity" of the 2nd amendment is as a protector of all other rights. It should be limited only where it becomes an infringement upon the rights of others. The necessity was accepted as natural law by our founding fathers. Necessity is not the argument. If you wanted it limited, the burden is on you to show where it's boundaries are and where it infringes on the rights of others.

What right, what freedom is denied to you by the lawful private ownership of class 3 weapons? Speak Up. What has been taken from you by the lawful ownership of machine guns?

Last edited by Archer 9505; April 10, 2012 at 12:56 PM.

Page generated in 0.04477 seconds with 7 queries