View Single Post
Old March 28, 2012, 06:50 PM   #51
MJN77

Quote:
If you have time to reload something, it would probably be your rifle. Depends on the heat of action. I can just see men reloading a colt or rem on the field during the action.
Quote:
You would have to be hid out to relaod anything from the muzzle. You couldn't do it on a horse
Actually, I have read extensively about Mosby's rangers in the ACW. There are more than a few accounts of reloading revolvers in combat. Even in the Mexican war, I have read about Texas rangers reloading their revolvers in a fight. In one account, "Jack" Hay's men reloaded their Walkers and Patersons on the run, on horseback, after emptying them into an overwhelming group of Mexican lancers that surprised them near Izucar de Matamoros. After reloading, the rangers then turned, charged the lancers and emptied them again, before repeating the scene a few more times. So it was done. Probably more often than you or I will ever know. I have also read about rangers reloading revolvers in the battles of Monterey, San Juan Teotihuacan, and Zacualtipan, not to mention countless fights with Mexican guerrillas. That's probably why combustable revolver cartridges have been around since at least the late 1840s or early 1850s. So, yeah folks did reload in battle, and they could do it on a horse.

Last edited by MJN77; March 28, 2012 at 06:57 PM.

Page generated in 0.04597 seconds with 7 queries