View Single Post
Old March 26, 2012, 09:36 AM   #43
Bart B.

Guffey comments:
Quote:
Then there are those that claim they fired 308 W ammo in a M1 Garand and claim the M1 handled like a doll buggy, and I upset them by asking about the gas system drop in pressure and case extraction/ejection, I ask, “Shouldn’t the shooter suspect something was wrong when cases had to be manually ejected” to me that is something the shooter would remember, time is a factor, when the 308W case formed to the chamber time elapsed, the time it took for the case to fill the chamber caused a drop in pressure etc., etc..
Is this another one of your baseless assumptions? Note that you're not upsetting me about this. Here's why.

Having seen dozens (hundreds?) of 7.62 NATO rounds (M80 ball and M118 match) fired in 30 caliber Garand chambers and all cycled the op rod and bolt well normally ejecting fired cases then loading the next one automatically, never ever seen any that had to be manualy ejected. Neither did the small arms instructors at Camp Elliott in the mid 1960's where USN recruits were trained in small arms use where most of this event happened. I've watched some folks shoot 10 rounds rapid fire in a minute with NATO ammo in a 30 caliber Garand without even noticing what was happening. The first indication of something amiss was empty cases without necks all over the place and only a smidgen of a shoulder coming down off the 1.97" or so long case body was visible. Cut most of the shoulder off a .30-06 case and you'll see what they look like.

There's plenty of port pressure to cycle a Garand op rod and bolt firing 7.62 NATO ammo in a 30 caliber Garand. While not quite as gusto as standard .30-06 ammo and no doubt at the lower end of specs, it nevertheless did a good job and no failures to cycle happened as far as I know.

Last edited by Bart B.; March 26, 2012 at 10:47 AM.

Page generated in 0.04620 seconds with 7 queries