View Single Post
Old March 13, 2012, 06:39 AM   #13
Doc Hoy

I think this is my point

I have only looked at a couple attempts to commit what happens as a revolver is fired to a mathematical progression.

But I don't recall any which was able to include all of the factors that could impact speed.

For example, I have not seen any which considers lubrication or variations in lubrication effectiveness. Amount of lube, density of the lube, variations in lube density because the day is hot or the pistol is hot.

Has the barrel been shot in? What was the condition of the tool used to cut the barrel? Finish on the inner surfaces of the chambers. If it is a revolver, what is the impact of the barrel gap?

I think one might reach a point of diminishing returns in terms of the effort invested in building the formula compaired with the accuracy and the reliability of the data returned.

It is an awful lot of fun to think about and without putting words in his mouth (Mik's) I think this may have been his original motivation. The other way to learn how fast a system is, is to shoot it a lot. Regretably he can't do that. So he gets his enjoyment from doing what an engineer does. All electronic engineers are part physicist since the theories of electronics have their origin in physics.

This is a lot of fun Mik. Thanks

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson

Page generated in 0.04159 seconds with 7 queries