View Single Post
Old March 11, 2012, 06:46 PM   #14
frumious

Dmazur,

Thanks for the explanation of the Dillon powder system. Kind of sounds like the Lee auto-disk system, but with charge bars instead of disks. I still use my Lee powder-through expander dies for expanding (in fact I use all of my Lee dies...I kept them after selling my LoadBastard).

Crosshair,

I have a Lyman digital powder scale too...1200-DPS3. I use it when working up loads because it is 100% accurate, and easier to use for incremental changes than the RCBS powder system. The RCBS system IMHO works best when you set it and forget it. As in set it and then run a few hundred rounds, not set it and run 5 rounds and then set it and run 5 more, etc.

On the "one powder system for each caliber"...I will register one last opinion (and then I will shut up )...this is really not much of a timesaver, and is quite a bit more expense. To see why I think this, consider the powder-calibration steps of the caliber change process, in each case:

RCBS
1. Adjust micrometer.
2. Fill hopper with powder.
3. Throw 2-3 charges without weighing and put them back into the hopper.
4. Throw 2-3 charges and weigh them to make sure your micrometer setting is right.

Dillon, with 1 powder setup for each set of dies
1. Fill hopper with powder.
2. Throw 2-3 charges without weighing and put them back into the hopper.
3. Throw 2-3 charges and weigh them to make sure your charge bar setting is right.

So the only time you save is the literally 2-3 seconds to twist the handle on the micrometer. If this is worth the money for another powder setup then OK It just isnt for me (or wouldn't be, if I had a Dillon).

Good luck!

-cls

Page generated in 0.04495 seconds with 7 queries