View Single Post
Old March 8, 2012, 11:58 PM   #33
Onward Allusion

Quote:
OldMarksman
<SNIP>
Quote:
As for hiding behind a locked door while someone is trying to break in, that is utterly ridiculous if you're armed or have access to a firearm.

Why's that?
Because if someone is breaking into your house when they know someone is home, it is pretty obvious that they don't give a crap about your welfare and intend to do you harm.

Quote:
Quote:
It takes a few seconds to break down a door.

Well, yeah, and should someone do that, it would provide incontrovertible evidence against any possible indications that might otherwise rebut an assumption that the use of deadly force was immediately necessary.
Quote:
Quote:
In my case enough time for me to draw and stop the threat as they're coming through the door or before - YES before.

I cannot imagine any reason for anyone in his right mind to shoot through a closed door. First, there is always the risk, however small, of shooting someone that someone does no want to shoot. Second, it is awfully hard to shoot to center mass when the target is completely hidden behind, or is only partially behind, a door.
Ok, let me clarify. The first thing I would do is scream out - "Get the -blank- away from my door!". Then I'll give them 1 second. If they continue, I will shoot to stop the break in. Anyone willing to break down your door when they know someone's home is not there to sell you Girl Scout Cookies. They are intending on doing you harm. At a recent community policing lecture, the officer presenting stated exactly that. EXACTLY - and I would agree 100% with him. Our's is a Castle Doctrine State. If one is really that concerned for bystanders, then shoot low.

<SNIP>

Quote:
Quote:
If woken from a sound sleep by someone being in my house up to no good, I'd make sure family members are accounted for and hunker down.

Personally, I believe that is the best strategy to dal with a criminal invasion at any time of day.
We somewhat agree. It really depends on the stage of the break-in/invasion (see above).

Quote:
Quote:
Clearing a house is extremely difficult under ideal situations and having just woken up doesn't help.
i would imagine that that is one of the reasons for the advice given by the unnamed experts to the ABC reporters.
I can't re-iterate this enough. Clearing a house is a last resort. I had an opportunity to train on this recently and it was probably one of the most intense things I've done - and that was just practice!

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Page generated in 0.04480 seconds with 7 queries