View Single Post
Old February 21, 2012, 08:43 PM   #28
Tom Servo
Staff

RJ and Tom (the other one) are right. From the horse's mouth, as of July, 2009 [pdf]:

Quote:
Under section 921(a)(3)(B), frames or receivers are defined as firearms. However, frames and receivers are not rifles, shotguns, or handguns (pĂ­stols or revolvers), even if they can only be made into one of these firearms. See Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, section 478.11 (defining these terms). This is because a frame or receiver
does not have the features required for a rifle or shotgun
(e.g., a buttstock indicating it is designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder), or a pistol or revolver (e. g., a weapon with a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand and at an angle to and extending the line of the bore). As a result, Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLS)
should note several things:

First, an FFL may not sell a frame or receiver to anyone under 21 years of age. [Title i8, U.S.C., section 922(b)(l)].

Second, an FFL may not transfer a frame or receiver to an unlicensed person from another State. [Title 18, U.S.C., section 922(b)(3)].
The biggest stink at the time was that folks under 21 couldn't build their own rifles from scratch. There was also some griping about 18-year-olds not being able to buy those goofy Mossberg Cruisers.

Page generated in 0.05418 seconds with 7 queries