View Single Post
Old February 15, 2012, 08:36 PM   #5
jepp2

Quote:
You then screw the sizing die all of the way down until it touches the shell holder. You then lower the shell holder and screw the die in 1/4 to 1/2 more turn. This will full length re-size the case.
This probably will allow the case to chamber in your rifle. It also may result in the shoulder being set back excessively and cause the case to suffer a case head separation after a few loadings. I don't know about you, but getting a face full of brass particles driven by 50,000 psi isn't my idea of something I want to experience.

For a bolt action rifle you want to move the shoulder 0.002" when you size the case. 1/4 turn on a reloading die is over 0.020". So are you going to turn it 1/4 or 1/2 turn? What you really need to do is measure the shoulder prior to sizing and adjust your die until you get the correct setting.

If you can't afford the proper tools to measure, at least use your chamber as a gage and adjust the die down in very small increments until the bolt closes slightly easier. Either a Wilson case gage or the Hornady Lock-n-Load headspace gage are examples of tools that allow you to measure.

Page generated in 0.04126 seconds with 7 queries