View Single Post
Old February 7, 2012, 10:57 AM   #39
So, when a store posts a sign like this one, does it have the effect of law? If a person does "carry" into a Jared's are they breaking the law?
Let me give some more specific information on what various posters have said regarding "No Gun" signs in TX.

A business that doesn't sell liquor for on-premise consumption (more on this in a minute..) is required to post a sign meeting the requirements of TX Penal Code Sec. 30.06 in order to prohibit a CHL holder from entering the premises with a concealed handgun.

Other signage, including the generic "Gunbuster" sticker, does not carry the force of law to a legal CHL holder in TX.

Once inside the premises, a CHL holder is required to leave or disarm upon receiving verbal or written communication that guns are prohibited. However, in practice, this is a de facto "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. How often have you walked into a store and immediately had a clerk ask you "Excuse me, sir (or ma'am), are you carrying a concealed handgun?"

As I wrote in another recent thread (that I can't seem to find right now... hmmph), I have never seen a legal Sec. 30.06 sign posted at any DFW-area business; the only places I've ever seen them have been major hospitals and a couple of municipal buildings.

If the business serves alcoholic beverages for on-premise consumption and derives more than 51% of its revenue from such sales, CHL holders are not supposed to enter the business with a concealed handgun; no 30.06 sign is required. Such businesses are supposed to post a prominent "51%" sign near the entrance to comply with the TX Alcoholic Beverage Code (ABC). Fortunately, 51% businesses are uncommon due to all the other regulatory hurdles required to comply with the TX ABC; business owners will go to great lengths to avoid this classification. Very, very few sit-down restaurants qualify, and many dance halls and live music venues skirt the regulations by charging high cover fees and selling cheap drinks.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules... MARK IT ZERO!!" - Walter Sobchak
Page generated in 0.06797 seconds with 7 queries