View Single Post
Old January 29, 2012, 08:15 PM   #28
Lost Sheep

Slotback (#20) put it well, but I have heard it put better. Tell the police that you want to cooperate, but feel unwell (in shock?) and know that this is a serious situation and want to speak to an advisor before making a statement.

Put more succintly, "I want to calm down before I give a statement." If you feel faint, tell them. It is no comment on your manhood that the post-engagement adrenaline dump affects you.

It IS important to point out any evidence of your innocence and the shooting victim's guilt (the shootee is now definitiely the victim of a gunshot wound, no matter HOW guilty of murder, mayhem whatever. One can be the victim and perpetrator simultaneously of separate crimes.)

If you point out exculpatory evidence and the police later cannot produce it, it weakens their case and gives you grounds for acquittal if it should ever get that far. But the first principle is that you don't want that proof of your innocence to be overlooked, compromised, destroyed or lost.

Glenn Dee (#16) The truth is always the truth and the facts are always the facts, but the facts that get collected (and admitted into evidence) may be interpreted so that the UNDERSTANDING of the events does not quite coincide with the truth. No forensic examiner can collect ALL the facts. Selective collection and selective interpretation, whether conscious or unconscious, gets added to preconcieved notions and sometimes gets sorted out in court and sometimes the conclusion gets it wrong.

On the 911 call,

First, the request for assistance: "Send an Ambulance and the police right away to 1234 Maple Street."

The 911 operator will begin to ask questions.

You may want to add more talking:

This is a fact: "Someone is bleeding in the front doorway."

This is a narrative: "A guy broke into the house and got shot"

This is a confession: "I shot a guy in my house."

What will (if it comes to it) your lawyer find less troublesome (and expensive) to your defense?

Stay as calm as you can. Talk slowly. Remember to breathe. If feeling faint, sit down and lower your head. ALWAYS leave your hands in view of the police. Follow instructions. If you don't understand the instructions, make NO movement. If you must move, move slowly.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.04911 seconds with 7 queries