View Single Post
Old January 27, 2012, 09:24 PM   #49
RC20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 10, 2008
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,967
Quote:
You're going to have a very hard time coherently explaining that to YoungSon, late of the 3/75th Rangers, two tours in Iraq, two in Afghanistan, and now going back for a fifth all-expense-paid trip to the sandbox.

We're all (well, some of us) are very familiar w/ mad-minute-fill-the air-with-smoking-lead theory. But the single shooter matters big time -- no less than the single shooter is the basic element of the larger fire team. Even more so because a basic tactic of the Taliban was--and is-- to engage us at 450 yards, knowing that we will have to move in to hit him in the immediate term --and catching us in an intervening trap set in defilade.

I say again: This was, and remains, a favorite tactic and is a specifically-learned response to the limitations of our current main battle rifle. Any lightweight thing we can do to improve standoff response for the individual dogface infantryman in that critical time before heavy weapons, artillery and/or air support can be brought to bear saves good lives and kills bad people.
Keep in mind that the same genius that came up with the notion that you don't have to aim, the statistics say you just throw more lead at them and statistically you will kill more of them, also came up with the "most engagements are under 300 meters".

51% can be most, which leaves 49% (potentially) that are not.

And arty and heavier MG fire is not there for the day in day out foot patrol (on call reserved for the big pushes and the small guys have to survive or deal with what they have until they get support which as mentioned can be a long time coming and to often too long or never as its too late).

Beauty of the 6.5 is it opens up the world in the same platform as the M series guns and no downside.

Military ammo is not hunting ammo, its penetration oriented, and if you can poke a hole in them at 600 yards, they are probably out of the fight killed or not. A lot will then die of festering wounds.

Will we get there, we can hope.
RC20 is offline  
 
Page generated in 0.04123 seconds with 7 queries