View Single Post
Old December 8, 2011, 07:59 AM   #26
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Took 23 hits and was still in the fight.
Yes, the article said he took 23 hits, but did not say he was still in the fight after 23 hits.

Quote:
NYPD Officers are mandated to train twice a year with their service pistol, and qualify with it once a year. As with any off duty, or second gun they are authorized to use. They get three tries to qualify before being assigned to a rubber gun assignment. Then further training. Then failure to qualify would be grounds for dismissal. So their jobs depend on their ability to qualify. Also the department makes available 50 rounds per month to every member for practice.
While officers may have an allowance of 50 rounds a month for practice, if NYPD is like any other department, very few officers use that allotment and practice.

Many departments have the requirement that officers must qualify annually and failure to do so could result in firing. Few officers are ever fired for failing to qualify, however. This isn't because they are such great shots, but because the testing standards are so low and officers who don't pass the first time are given additional opportunities to pass as well as additional training on top of that to help them to pass.

Is it not strange that after being taught to shoot in the police academy and becoming qualified as police officers that officers have two whole range days a year of training, and yet are given 3 chances to qualify with a passing grade before the rubber gun assignment? This pattern is also similar to many other departments. If the training is so good and officers so well trained, then why in the world would officers be given up to three attempts to pass? Well, it is because there are officers every year who have trouble qualifying.

Based on what I find from the internet, for NYPD, passing is 78% hits (39 of 50) on the large gray COM area of a stationary target from fixed distances out to 25 yards and with a passing grade being able to be attained before by 15 yards. This is also similar to many other departments.

So basically, these shooting qualifications are actually a fairly low standard by which to measure gun proficiency and reflect little about how well an officer will be able to shoot in a conflict on the street where the bad guy, officer, or both may be in motion, using cover, etc.

Quote:
As far as 50 rounds per month. Thats 50 rounds more than most people shoot. Remember were talking about Police Officers, not firearms enthusiasts.
Well 50 rounds a month is more than most people shoot, but NYPD officers don't have to shoot 50 rounds a month and most people are not law enforcement officers who carry a gun and are involved in protecting the public. Comparing NYPD providing for up to 50 rounds a month for practice for its officers against the average citizen is a very low standard at which to assert the superiority of the officers' firearms skills.

With that said, here is an analysis of NYPD training from 2008. Unless things have changed, I don't see where they are allotted 50 rounds a month for practice and qualifications are twice a year with 45 rounds allowed for practice before taking the 50 round test of shooting a fixed distances of 7, 15, and 25 yards.
http://www.rand.org/pubs/monographs/2008/RAND_MG717.pdf

Quote:
Although many people shoot hundreds of rounds in ever range trip, I dont know that they are becoming any better a shot. Keep in mind that training is somewhat different than practicing.
I am not sure by the fairly low shooting standards and being given the option of 3 times to pass indicates that police officers (as a group) are becoming better shooters either. While most police officers may not be firearms enthusiasts, there are more likely to have to discharge their firearm in a conflict than the average citizen is.

Page generated in 0.05288 seconds with 7 queries