View Single Post
Old November 23, 2011, 01:44 PM   #93
8MM Mauser

I was probably overstating it a bit by saying "only" a danger to themselves. But I also think that this is sort of a larger issue as well, people are going to be stupid, and we cannot legislate away freedom because some people are irresponsible with it. From the bottom of my heart I cannot understand people who underestimate firearms, I've been shooting with friends and family for 12 years and my own weapons + rental guns for 6 years and I still have a healthy fear of guns I always assume they are loaded unless looking at an empty chamber.

I once had a friend who thought it was funny to point a loaded shotgun at me, with the safety off! I reacted by stepping inside the gun's range (the muzzle was about two inches from my face) and giving him a square kick in his privates, with steel toes on. I had driven to the range that day and I told him we were leaving NOW! Never took him shooting again...

Point being, some people are dumb, my friend is dumb, but I don't think that means we should try and legislate his freedom of stupidity away...

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

Page generated in 0.04456 seconds with 7 queries