View Single Post
Old November 23, 2011, 11:41 AM   #88
kraigwy

Quote:
The Civilian Marksmanship Program was started to improve the shooting capabilities of those going into the army. What do you suppose the average age of participants is now?
I think I see where you are going with this, indicating that the age group of participants is us older guys. If I'm mistaken then I apologize. But the older ages is not the case in regards to the CMP.

Quote:
The great body of citizens shoot less as time goes on. We should encourage rifle practice among school boys and indeed all classes as well as the military
Teddy Roosevelt, 1903

In 1903 under the guidance and encouragement of Pres. Roosevelt Congress passed a bill creating the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, administered by the Division of Civilian Marksmanship.

In 1996 Congress chartered the Civilian Marksmanship Program, to replace the Army for administering the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice.

The Mission of the CMP "To Promote Firearm Safety and Marksmanship Training With an Emphasis on Youth"

That is the case, most of the CMP programs are geared toward the youth of this country.

As a side note, don't get hung up on the term "Rifle" in this post. Pistols are also included.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.05132 seconds with 7 queries