View Single Post
Old November 21, 2011, 02:17 PM   #32
BlueTrain

I don't think any of those instances you've mentioned are examples of when society breaks down and becomes violent. During the Hitler era, for example, beginning with his election, there was no social breakdown. The people by and large supported Hitler. But the police did have greater and greater power and the control of the police gradually shifted into the hands of one man. However, you are certainly correct that the police take their orders from politicians, those who have either been appointed or elected to office. Come to think of it, isn't that the way it's supposed to work? I realize there are some sheriffs here and there that take orders from no one but they are the exceptions.

On the other hand, I suppose you could have a society that is actually quite violent, yet has not exactly had a breakdown in order. I might even go so far to say that societies in which there has been a real breakdown in social order and have some degree of everyday violence probably have no police worth the name anyway. Do you suppose the police in Somalia are an efficient force?

Or are you saying we'd all be better off without the police?
Buy War Bonds.

Page generated in 0.04500 seconds with 7 queries