View Single Post
Old November 17, 2011, 11:53 AM   #5
I have just acquired a .243 rifle that I am going to be using this year. I have been reading that the .243 is "barely adequate" for deer
Somebody is blowing smoke up some where. Sounds like a statement from someone trying to sell some super duper magnum.

The 243 is an excellent deer round. Thousands upon thousands of deer have been taken with a 243. One of the most popular deer rounds in the west where we tend to shoot a little further the those back east.

Personnally I don't use one, I shoot a 257 Roberts, dern near the same thing. My wife uses a 243, and its never failed her. We use the same size bullets. Her 243 is a bit more accurate then my 257, but both are more then capable rounds.

If I didn't have a 257,(I really like my Model 70 Featherweight) the 243 would be my number one choice for deer and antilope size animals.

If I was to start over and replace my rifles, the first one I'd get would be a new FN Model 70 Featherweight in 243. Followed by the same thing in 270 Win for elk size animals.
Kraig Stuart
USAMU Sniper School Oct '78
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Page generated in 0.05381 seconds with 7 queries