View Single Post
Old November 9, 2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Question for those chasing grouping sizes.....

I am a long time pistol shooter and have recently gotten into rifle shooting again. I am hooked on chasing group sizes. I have not reloaded rifle cartridges before, but have loaded pistol ammo in the past. The question is this:
How much can individual bullet weights be off before you see a difference on the paper? I am reloading .308 Win and using Nosler 165 grain ballistic tips. In weighing the individual bullets, most of them are within 0.2 grains of each other, but once in a while, you'll get one that is up to 0.5 grains heavier/lighter. In a perfect world, every round you load will be EXACTLY the same, I understand that, but in reality, what is an "acceptable" variance in bullet weight with all other factors being equal?
Also, as a follow up question - (I feel like the rifle noob that I am here asking this) What affect can poor/inconsistent primer seating have on accuracy? In pistols with ranges normally at 25 yards, this isn't a real factor, but out at 600 yards, can this drastically affect accuracy?
Thanks in advance for the help and answers!
Exotic wood addict and grip maker
Page generated in 0.03660 seconds with 7 queries