View Single Post
Old November 8, 2011, 12:01 PM   #13
serf 'rett

Roughly half of the .45ACP brass I picked up at the LEO range this past weekend was small primer stuff and I didn’t notice NT in the head stamp. I like to scrounge at this particular range because the brass is almost always shiny “new” (once fired) stuff not the mud encrusted stuff I dig out at other ranges. While it is not a scientific study, the range pick-ups from the past few months indicate either a trend moving toward small primer .45 or someone dumped the stuff on the local law at a good price. Like it or not, I suspect we are going to see a lot more of the small primer stuff.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the changeover to small primer pockets is an economic decision to control cost and maintain profit. I didn’t get an email from Federal or Winchester or other asking my opinion on making this unthinkable change to the ancient standard; did you? Face it, we reloaders are small potatoes to companies selling to the military or Wally World or Midway. In fact, there is a sense in which we are competition (small scale for sure), who are cutting onto the big guy’s market and doing it by reusing his stuff to boot. If it’s profitable manufacture the small primer stuff, we are going to be seeing more in the days to come. “Say hello to my little friend!”
I’m sorting .45ACP brass now, so I’m experiencing the disadvantage; however, once the pile of small primer stuff is large enough, I’ll enjoy the benefits of not swapping priming setups and having one primer which can be used in my 9mm, 40S&W AND .45ACP.

My daughter, who is an ER trauma nurse, says there are times at which she tells herself, “I’ll just put on my big girl pants and deal with it!”

Page generated in 0.04676 seconds with 7 queries