View Single Post
Old October 29, 2011, 12:41 PM   #16
Sevens

Jimmy, here's a little bit of caliber specific help. I'm guessing not many of these guys load .30 Carbine, or if they did, none of them mentioned that:

You can't, CAN NOT load .30 Carbine without using case lube. Yes, buy .30 Carbine carbide reloading dies. That will help. Even so, because it's a harshly tapered case, you must use lube. If you don't use lube, you'll size one, maybe two cases, then you'll violently rip the rim of one case and never extract it from the size die.

Also, .30 Carbine stretches, so you really ought to get your trimming tools along with your other gear. .30 Carb brass stretches and eventually won't chamber fully OR it'll try to make your rifle fire out of battery (which it should NOT do) but if it does happen, you might get hurt. And if you should happen to be loading .30 Carb for a Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carb, you will sieze up the revolver the moment you use even one piece of brass that's too long.

The cheapest way to handle case trimming is the Lee tools. You'll spend like ten bucks and they'll work fine. Slow, and hard on the hands, but they work great.

Also, when it comes times to buy component bullets, I highly recommend Berry's plated bullets in .30 Carbine. They are velocity rated to 1,900 FPS. They are accurate for my in my B'Hawk and save me a lot of dough over all the other .30 Carb bullets on the market.

For powder, I'm absolutely married to Alliant 2400 and small rifle NON-magnum primers. There are other powders that will work, but 2400 is my favorite.

A brass tumbler will not only keep your dies cleaner, but it'll make your entire experience cleaner and it will give you pride in your ammo. For the cost, I highly recommend you get a tumbler and clean your brass. I went many years without it and shortly after I got mine, I realized what a cheap fool I was for so long.

Page generated in 0.04553 seconds with 7 queries