View Single Post
Old September 13, 2011, 04:51 AM   #78
Bill Akins

Quote:
Double J wrote:
Harmonic detonation.
After thinking about it, the term, "Chain-Fire" could be upped to a new level.
I can understand one thinking that at first glance seeing all those many chambers in a row like that on the harmonica block Double J, but actually the possibility of a chain fire with my tripod mounted, muzzleloading harmonica gun concept would be even safer than on a regular muzzleloading revolver. Here's why....

On a six shot muzzleloading revolver one chamber is aligned with the barrel. Four other chambered balls could PARTIALLY hit the frame or barrel area, but the most they would do is dent and deflect the ball. It is the very bottom chamber directly in line with the rammer that is the only one that would really cause a problem in damaging the revolver in a chainfire.

But on my tripod mounted harmonica muzzleloader concept, none of the chambers would be in a position to hit the frame or barrel. One chamber is aligned with the barrel and the other chambers of the harmonica block could be spaced far enough apart so that if the next loaded chamber to the left of the barrel were to chainfire, it would pop the ball out harmlessly without hitting any part of the weapon. Also it would pop out with little force not being under barrel compression.

Even if the chambers were spaced closer together so that the chamber to the left of the one aligned with the barrel were to chainfire and could hit the receiver, instead of having a flat spot there, a slight angle built into the receiver at that point could deflect the ball away from the receiver.

So in reality, the fact that there were a lot of chambers in the harmonica block would be irrelevant to any problems with chainfires.

Here's an interesting analogy.

In the very very early beginnings of aerial combat in WW1, pilots and their observers used pistols and rifles to shoot at opposing enemy pilots. observers could only shoot from the rear seat with a machine gun sideways or at an angle, and this was an era before most planes were even carrying machine guns. This was also before the machine gun was even tried mounted on top of the wing to miss the prop. Usually more powerful engine two seater planes could carry a machine gun, but they always mounted it for the rear observer to use if they did carry one. The very earliest single seat reconnaissance planes were too underpowered to be able to operate effectively with the weight of a machine gun.

Pioneer prewar test pilot and English channel flyer, French aviator Roland Garros worked out that only 10% of machine gun bullets fired forward would hit the prop. So using a souped up single seater, he put a machine gun in front of the pilot and attached steel deflector plates to his prop to deflect those 10% of bullets that would hit the prop. The Germans did not fear a plane flying directly towards them because neither side had been able to shoot at each other forward of the propeller that way yet. So Garros quickly became an ace. Unfortunately in addition to killing his mechanic from a ricochet in test firing the device from the grounded plane in the firing pits, although it worked for awhile, Garros' device was crude and doomed to eventual stress failure.

Eventually the stress of the bullets hitting the plates broke his wooden prop and he landed behind enemy lines and was captured. The Germans captured his plane, gave it to Dutchman Anthony Fokker who came up with a working mechanical interrupter cam where the engine interrupted the gun from firing when the prop blade was in front of the barrel. That gave them an incredible "Fokker Scourge" advantage they enjoyed until the Triple Entente came up with its own hydraulic interrupter gear a year later. (In WW1, the Germans and Austro-Hungarian empire were called "The allies" while the powers that opposed them were known as "The Triple Entente". It was only in WW2 that we became known as "The Allies").

The point is, if the many multiple chambers of my harmonica block concept were grouped close enough together so that the loaded one to the left of the barrel had the rare occasion to chainfire, the angle milled in the receiver just left of the forcing cone, would harmlessly deflect the soft lead ball away from the receiver. Just like the angled deflector plates deflected the much more powerful bullets on Garros' propeller.
Only Garros was using high powered rifle cartridges in his machine gun. I'd be using much less powerful black powder, plus if it did chainfire, it would never have compression coming out of the harmonica block and would only go a short distance with little power.

Still, it would be a good idea to stay totally behind my concept harmonica gun when it was being fired. Just to be on the safe side.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; September 13, 2011 at 05:46 AM.

Page generated in 0.05869 seconds with 7 queries