View Single Post
Old August 16, 2011, 10:32 AM   #5
PawPaw

I;ve got several Handi Rifles and I like them for what they are. Simple, rugged inexpensive firearms. I did a write-up about my collection at my ezine.

Handi rifles have some foibles, one of them is that they seem to prefer (from a bench), the front bag to be as close to the trigger guard as possible.

My .30-30 is a good shooter. It hovers around an inch with good handloads, depending on who is behind the trigger. My particular example has a Marlin microgroove barrel and likes jacketed bullets better than it likes cast bullets. I mounted a fixed 4X scope and use it to train new shooters when they're ready to step up to centerfire cartridges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picher
The weakness in the design is in the ejector system. I'd prefer an extractor-only design
I agree, but note that Picher has a rimless chambering. My .30-30 came with an extractor system and I believe that the rimless rifles come with ejectors and the rimmed cartridge rifles have extractors. I agree with Picher, because my .223 Handi has an ejector and has given me a few problems. Those problems were easily solved with a good cleaning and lubrication.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Page generated in 0.04374 seconds with 7 queries