View Single Post
Old August 14, 2011, 01:08 PM   #32
federali

Essential Tremor

I think you have what I have and it's called essential tremor. Started in my early 40s and I too can barely get through a magazine of ammo before it kicks in. Every case is different. I can shoot revolvers all day without incident. Switch to autoloaders and there it is. No known cause or cure.
See the following:

Home | About PubMed Health | Contact Us
Search Help
PubMed Health
Home > Diseases and Conditions > Essential tremor
Essential tremor

Tremor - essential; Familial tremor; Tremor - familial
Last reviewed: June 24, 2009.

Essential tremor is a type of involuntary shaking movement in which no cause can be identified. Involuntary means you shake without trying to do so.

See also:

Drug-induced tremor

Tremor

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Essential tremor is the most common type of tremor. In general, tremors occur when there is a problem with the nerves supplying certain muscles. However, everyone has some essential tremor but the movements are usually so small that they can't be seen.

The specific cause for essential tremor is unknown. Some research suggests that the cerebellum, the part of the brain that controls muscles movements, does not work correctly in patients with essential tremor.

Noticeable essential tremors can be seen at any age but are most common in people older than 65.

Essential tremor can also occur with other neurological conditions, including dystonia, parkinsonism, and certain inherited nerve conditions such as Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease.

If an essential tremor occurs in more than one member of a family, it is called a familial tremor. This type of essential tremor is passed down through families (inherited), which suggests that genes play a role in its cause.

Familial tremor is usually a dominant trait, which means that you only need to get the gene from one parent to develop the disorder. It usually starts in early middle age, but may be seen in people who are older or younger.

Symptoms

The tremor is usually most obvious in the hands, but may affect the arms, head, eyelids, or other muscles. The tremor rarely affects the legs or feet. People with essential tremor may have trouble holding or using small objects such as silverware or a pen.

Page generated in 0.04813 seconds with 7 queries