View Single Post
Old July 20, 2011, 03:25 PM   #6
publius

I certainly wouldn't let your friend work on, or clean, my guns. Never, ever force anything. If something doesn't move easily, you didn't look at it correctly and need to figure out what you are doing wrong. I almost always fully detail strip a gun when I get it. I am afflicted with the philosophy of "If it's not broken, I want to find out why not" I want to know exactly how it works and that I know it is completely clean. Hunting guns get torn down at least every two years (bolts disassembled, the whole works. I sometimes will even remove the scope & mounts on a blued gun to check for rust). Duck guns and guns that have gotten wet get it once a year. They get a field strip immediately if wet of course. I enjoy taking things apart & putting them back together, fortunately I'm good at it. I pay attention during disassembly, sometimes acquire a schematic ahead of time on a new type I am not familiar with, ex.- I had never worked on a top break revolver before so i found a schematic before i disassembled the .32 iver Johnson I got last month. I think it is a worthwhile learning experience. you will understand how your gun works better, allowing you to diagnose problems and you will be more comfortable if you are in a situation where you have to take it apart. you will have te sense of saticfaction knowing you have a spotless gun and you did it.

Page generated in 0.04663 seconds with 7 queries