View Single Post
Old June 16, 2011, 08:59 AM   #2
Sevens

When I started loading for .327 Federal, I happened to have one single box of 100 grain Hornady XTP's. I got them a year or two prior to the Barackolypse.

When Obama was elected in November of '08, all things gun went flying off the shelves. Ammo was next... reloading supplies followed. All the .312" jacketed slugs went with them. Thing is -- it's not a popular component, so when the existing supply of them dried up, they were *gone*, seemingly never to return. Because when the bullet makers tooled up a line to make a product, that product was going to be 9mm, .40 and .45, and MAYBE some .38/.357. Oddball stuff like .312" was put so far back on the back burner that it was basically 100% forgotten. So when the stock dwindled, FORGET about it. No bullets.

Where I ended up was with those tiny little .32 cal round nose bullets built specifically for the .32 Auto. 71 grain. I had Berry's plated and I stumbled in to a large lot of Winchester bulk 71gr FMJ. So for plinking ammo in .327 Federal Mag, that's where I started.

First up were the plated bullets. I never pushed these very hard. Berry's suggests staying under 1,200 FPS and the .327 can push a heavier 85 grain slug to a helluva speed. So I grabbed a fast burning powder and went with:

71gr Berry's Pl-RN, 4.6 grains Bullseye, 1.481" COAL
Sorry, no chrono. (yes, I know ) Did fool with them a bit in QuickLoad and best estimate is around 1,100 FPS with a 90% burn and maybe 15,000 PSI. I didn't start at 4.6 grains, but that's where I stopped... and the only reason I stopped is because I ended up getting a good deal on a 2,000 piece lot of the true FMJ bullets and not plated.

QuickLoad also gave us estimates for Titegroup at 1,100 FPS (4.3 grains, 16,500 PSI) but I elected to not try that load because I'm not a big fan of Titegroup.

So when I got the Winchester FMJ's, I loaded some of them at 4.6 grains of Bullseye with the same COAL, then I advanced it a bit. Little by little, I worked my way to:
71gr Win FMJ, 6.0 grains Bullseye, 1.481" COAL
Never saw signs of excessive pressure, but please know that I have no way of knowing either my FPS or my pressure on these loads. Completely experimental... reading nothing other than feel, extraction, primer and fired cartridge case from a Ruger SP-101 with 3-inch barrel. They felt and seemed completely safe at this charge.

I still have a bunch of these 71 gr FMJs, so I'm still looking for ideas, and would love to hear anyone else's experiements. Or if Peetzakilla has some spare time and he's reading, I'd love to hear some more QuickLoad estimates with this, or any bullet in .327 Federal, with any powder.

Page generated in 0.04674 seconds with 7 queries