View Single Post
Old June 14, 2011, 08:21 PM   #11
Lawyer Daggit
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 5, 2004
Posts: 1,181
In Australia we are lucky enough to have most of the most poisonous snakes in the world- they are protected, and usually if bitten there are long distances to travel for medical attention.

I find a little bit of common sense, wearing long pants, chaps and boots goes a long way.

I also try and avoid doing stupid things like poking around old bits of corrugated iron roofing material etc that have been on the ground for ages.

I also carry a thick crepe bandage to bind a limb if bitten.

Interestingly the Aborigines used to lie still for a couple of days if bitten. This reduces the capacity of venom to move from the capilleries into the blood. The poison has a half life that once exceeded can be easily passed by the body.

Of course if a major blood vessel was bitten it would be all over bar the funeral.
Lawyer Daggit is offline  
 
Page generated in 0.04303 seconds with 7 queries