View Single Post
Old June 13, 2011, 08:53 PM   #12
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
First off can I tumble and reload this brass (as long as it is not cracked ect.)?
Absolutely. I would dump the packed dirt and garbage out of the cases before tumbling.

Quote:
How many of you tumble before depriming (or is the proper term decapping?)?
I do. I have no earthly idea what's logical to spend the time to deprime before tumbling....especially when one uses a turret or auto-indexing press. Negates the reason to have one in the first place. For pistol brass, there's not one single physical advantage in doing it, IMO. Decapping, depriming, both are acceptable terms.

Quote:
What media do you use to tumble? How much should I expect to pay for the media at a Big box store like basspro or sportsmans wharehouse? How many times can you use the media before you dump and change it
Walnut to clean. Corn to polish. I buy mine from Midway. Tried the cheaper walnut media from pet stores. Went through the whole rigamrore with controlling the extra dust. It's more hassle than what it's worth. I rather spend a couple extra bucks for quality walnut media and be done with it. I'm not familiar with the size of your tumbler, but I would add about a tablespoon of low odor mineral spirits in your walnut media. Let it run for about 1/2 hour and then dump in your brass. It doesn't take much so don't overdo it.

I love using Midway's polish in the corn media. Again, a little goes a long way. If you use too much, you'll load up the media. Do not use ANY polishing agent with ammonia such as Brasso. People still do it claiming they let it dry to a powder before adding it in. To me, it's completely defeating the purpose since ammonia in those polishing agents is the main active ingredient. All they're doing is putting in "snake oil" by then. Besides, there's a TON of non-ammonia based compounds available. For the longest of time, I was leary of using Nu-Finish car polish. I finally succomed and tried it out. I have to admit I'm a convert. The stuff is cheap and, once again, a little goes a long way.

I normally tumble in walnut for an hour or two and 4 to 6 hours in corn. Just keep an eye on how long it takes for your brass to get cleaned/polished. You'll know. Just remember a fresh batch does the job really quick. Subsequent sessions will take longer but will level out.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Page generated in 0.04657 seconds with 7 queries