View Single Post
Old May 29, 2011, 05:10 AM   #213
publius42

That might backfire on Grassley, but I found this part more interesting:

Quote:
A Republican aide on Issa’s committee this week said DOJ has since increased its level of assistance and has been more accommodating to the panel’s requests for documents and interviews with DOJ and ATF officials.

Rep. Elijah Cummings (Md.), the ranking Democrat on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, said. “We want to be sure that whatever investigation there is, is thorough, but that it does not interfere with Justice’s investigations.

“I think Justice has made reasonable efforts to extend themselves to us and ask us to work with them so that we can still get the information we want and at the same time they can protect their witnesses. I think the problem here is, is the question … How deeply is Justice itself implicated?” he added.
Two things there - Issa's threat of contempt seems to have gotten at least some response, according to the unnamed aide, and the ranking Democrat on Issa's committee has a pretty darn important question (my emphasis added) that should really not be answered by the Justice Department. The conflict of interest is obvious.

Page generated in 0.04854 seconds with 7 queries