Some helpful suggestions
1. Carry "cocked and locked" , ALL THE TIME- evil doesn't make appointments, and it doesn't fight fairly, either.
2. Get some good training- enroll at Front Sight or some other training center to develop skills and proficiency.
3. Try different guns- we all have our own likes/dislikes.
4. Practice, practice, practice- just as you did during Basic Training in the military! They drill and drill until they're certain you know it.
5. Make sure you have the proper equipment.
6. Finally, carry DAILY with what YOU FEEL most comfortable and confident with!
Hope this helps.
"The best revenge is not in violence, but simply living well".