View Single Post
Old March 27, 2011, 07:23 PM   #20
Bill Akins

Quote:
Arcticap wrote:
A flask with a spout allows for the precise filling of a powder measure.
That's what I do Arcticap. I filed down my spout to where it only holds about 22 grains when I pour it into my measure. (I only use .44 calibers so I use the same balls and loads in everything). We've all seen people ill advisedly load directly from the flask spout. And when they do that, it is the same as when I put my finger over the spout, tip the flask over and allow the grains to fill my flask's spout, then release the valve so the grains are trapped in my spout, and then pour that into my measure to load the chamber.

Only difference between loading directly from the spout with unsettled powder is that I use a measure in between the flask and the revolver. Loading directly from the spout doesn't give you the opportunity to settle the grains before loading. Just like when I don't tap my measure anymore to settle the powder. But we all know the danger of having a flask go off like a grenade in your hand, so even though my loading technique has the same effect as loading directly from the flask (I.E. not settling the powder by tapping) I ALWAYS use a measure to load each chamber. Better to have singed eyebrows and maybe a blistered finger from one charge igniting if an ember is there rather than a blown off hand or dead from the entire flask blowing up. Probability of an ember in the chamber from a previous shot is very slight (especially if not using nitrated paper loads or cigarette papers) ....but it only takes once to kill you.

I know you weren't advocating loading directly from the flask spout Arcticap, just underscoring this for any newbie's that might be reading.

Newbies.....ALWAYS USE A POWDER MEASURE. NEVER LOAD DIRECTLY FROM THE FLASK. EVER. NOT EVEN ON A COLD GUN BECAUSE YOU COULD GET INTO A HABIT AND THEN ACCIDENTALLY FORGET AND LOAD A HOT GUN WITH AN EMBER IN THE CHAMBER. BOOM! FLASK BLOWS AND YOU'RE LIKELY DEAD OR WISH YOU WERE BECAUSE NOW YOU'RE PERMANENTLY BLIND FROM POWDER BURNS AND WITH NO HAND.

Quote:
Arcticap wrote:
I try to do it over a plastic container to collect whatever powder may spill over.
Same here. Not only saves powder but keeps the benchrest clean and no bits of powder that could be ignited by the muzzle flash or barrel to cylinder gap flash and burn a hole in your sleeve while you are benchrest shooting.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; March 27, 2011 at 07:48 PM.

Page generated in 0.04708 seconds with 7 queries