View Single Post
Old March 26, 2011, 04:23 PM   #12
Bill Akins

Quote:
MyKeal wrote:
I'm not sure if you just neglected to mention it or if you don't do it, but you're not getting consistent measurements if you don't tap the measure to settle the powder.
I used to tap each charge on my revolvers. But I only do that now on my CVA .50 cal single shot rifle. It takes too long to tap each charge in the measure for a six shot revolver. And the more you tap it, the more it settles and the more powder you have to keep putting in it to fill that same charge. Then if you don't use the same amount of force tapping, and don't tap each and every charge the same exact same amount of times and use the exact same amount of force tapping,..... you'll get charges that are more tightly compacted or less tightly compacted than other charges are. Plus like I said, it takes a long time to pour...tap...pour some more....tap some more....pour some more....then load. SIX TIMES. So what I do these days is just pour the powder into the measure, just ever so slightly vibrate it/tap it to level off the powder at the top (not to compress it), slide my attached funnel over the charge and load it.

I know I am firing a lighter load doing it that way because I am not compressing the powder in the measure to where more could be added to top it off. But that's okay, I like light loads. I believe my loads for all six chambers are more consistent doing it this way because I haven't tapped any one charge with more or less force than another charge. Or added more compacted powder in this charge compared to another charge. See what I mean? I pour from the spout for each and every one. They all lay the same in the measure without any one charge being more compacted than the other. Then I just slightly shake or very gently tap the charge to level it at the top of the measure so my funnel can slide over it for pouring.
I believe the key to accuracy is consistency in loading.

Quote:
MyKeal wrote:
You're looking to 'walk' the POI onto the X with 2 grain (or less?) load changes. I'll be honest - I just don't see that happening with a revolver. Maybe on an indoor range from a pistol rest and small calibers, but it just seems very unlikely anyone could see the difference two grains makes at 25 yards outdoors offhand with a .36 or .45.
Perhaps in shooting offhand you are correct MyKeal. But do you scope in your rifle offhand or benchrest it? Which is more accurate to let you know what your groupings are? It's the same with my revolvers. I sandbag benchrest them to try and get the very best groups I can get. Then once I find the right load that groups the best benchresting like that, then when I do shoot them offhand, I can be assured they will be as accurate as they can be.

Quote:
MyKeal wrote:
Anyway, I'm glad you found the measure. Even though I'm skeptical I hope it works out as you want. It's good to see care and attention to detail rewarded.
I look at it this way, Treso wouldn't make a single grain line increments powder measure if they didn't see a need for one. And at least now I can be more accurate with my loading charges than I was before where I was just guessing the single grains somewhere in between 10 or 5 grain measurement lines. It certainly won't hurt anything to have a measure that measures individual grain volumes. And as long as I only use the same grade of grain (FFFg) in the measure it should always be consistent. It's kind of like....I could use a yardstick that only has quarter inch line measurements or I could use a more precise measuring stick that shows 1/64's or even finer measurements. It never hurts to be more exact and to know what that measurement is as exactly best as you can without actually weighing it out on the scale (which is too cumbersome for range shooting).

Quote:
MyKeal wrote:
Edit: Treso brand products are manufactured (distributed/marketed?) by The House of Muskets in Colorado. Their current catalog (dated 2005) lists this powder measure as a new product. Be aware the catalog contains a caveat regarding powder measures: "The indicated charges are at best only approximate due to the different powder grain size and other variables."
Yep. And here's the House of Muskets' (manufacturer or Treso products) link for their phone number (I couldn't get their actual website to load on my computer for some reason)....

http://pc.pagosachamber.com/list/Mem...sa-springs.htm

I've already left a phone message there today for someone to call me back to see if they make that single grain line increment measure with a sliding or pivoting funnel attached or if I will have to cobble my own funnel for it. But either way, whether they make one with the funnel attached or I have to attach my own funnel, I'm getting this Treso single grain increments measure. After clicking on the below link, then click to enlarge the photo and you can see the individual grain line graduations on the plunger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; March 26, 2011 at 05:17 PM.

Page generated in 0.04816 seconds with 7 queries