View Single Post
Old March 12, 2011, 09:07 AM   #10
Bill Akins

Since BP muzzleloaders are unregulated by the federal government and are exempt from the national firearms act (NFA), you have no federal laws to have to conform to. You may sell them as you would sell any other unregulated item. Being federally unregulated and considered an antique weapon, you may also mail them directly to the purchaser without you having to be a firearms dealer or having to go through a firearms dealer. There is also no paperwork to have to fill out. It is however a good idea to get a statement of age and that the person is not adjudicated a mental incompetent just to protect yourself from any civil lawsuits where you could have accidentally sold to a minor or mental case who then used it in a crime and then the victims tried to sue you. By getting proof they are an adult and a statement that they are not a mental incompetent, you are simply covering yourself against civil lawsuit even though you are not required by federal law to get that information.

However, there are a few states such as N.J. that will not allow the unregulated sale of BP muzzle loading revolvers. Some state laws are more restrictive than federal law. So it is always best to also check state laws even though you don't have any federal laws to worry about.

As for how I would sell them in a store? I'd lay them on top of U.S. or confederate flag pictures or some kind of civil war picture inside of a glass case (If you have a glass display case) and attach an easy to see price tag on them.

As an alternative to a physical store, you could open up a virtual store on gunbroker's auction site.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; March 12, 2011 at 09:13 AM.

Page generated in 0.04288 seconds with 7 queries