View Single Post
Old March 11, 2011, 03:33 PM   #9
mykeal

Just a small point of order:

There are a significant number of incidents in my several years of experience in which a hunter has purchased an in-line muzzleloader to extend his deer hunting opportunities and eventually turned to sidelocks to use.

I am not a fan of in-line muzzleloaders; most of the ones I've had experience with have been inexpensive, simple and reliable but not appealing to me. However, allowing their use in an extended season has clearly resulted in putting more hunters in the woods for a longer period of time, and from a strict game management point of view that's a plus. But it's also a plus because some people who would never have tried muzzleloaders otherwise took up an in-line because they're cheap and reliable and then moved up to traditional muzzleloaders when they found they're not smelly, hard to clean, expensive, etc. That's just a simple fact, one that's rarely acknowledged but true nonetheless.

Notice I didn't say ALL in-line owners, and I admit I don't know if it's 50% or 1%. But it has happened and will continue to happen. And that's a good thing. One of the things we can do to increase the numbers of that phenomenon is to welcome the in-line owners to the sport and educate them to the joys of the more traditional guns. There are those among us, not many, but some, who insist on an 'elitist' attitude; they treat in-line owners with disdain at every encounter, and I can't help thinking that does us no good in the long run.

I don't expect to convert anyone with the above, but it's a point I feel needs to be made. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Page generated in 0.05767 seconds with 7 queries