View Single Post
Old February 1, 2011, 06:48 PM   #1
Praxus

Crimping 9mm luger

I am fairly new to reloading, having reloaded less than 1,000 rounds of mostly 9mm luger. I was reading some posts on here last night regarding crimping pistol rounds. Someone made the statement that to check the amount of crimp on the bullet I should push the bullet against the work bench and see if it pushed the bullet further into the case. Well I did and the bullet went all the way to the powder with very little applied force. Obviously I am not putting enough crimp on the bullet, more than likely I am crimping just enough to take out the bell from the sizing die. I am using Lee dies and I know that in order to increase the amount of crimp being applied that I need to rotate the seating die clockwise 1/8 of a turn at a time until the desired amount of crimp is achieved.

My question is: How do I know how much crimp is too much and how much is enough, are there any visual cues that will help me know when I'm putting too much or too little crimp on the bullet. Is there any way to measure and quantify the amount of crimp that is being applied to the bullet.

I understand that since the 9mm is not a cannelured bullet that excessive crimp will more than likely affect the performance of the bullet and the pressure in the cartridge. I would like to be able to quantify the amount of crimp being applied so that I can improve the consistency and accuracy of my reloads. Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Page generated in 0.04418 seconds with 7 queries