View Single Post
Old January 2, 2011, 02:12 AM   #11
ipscchef

Youngunz, I am pretty much with you all the way, with maybe one or two exceptions. I feed my 30-06 180 grainers, my .41 Mag 265 Veral Smith WLNFP's, My .45 Single Actions 270gr. Keiths, and 240gr. is the lightest bullet my Blackhawk revolver or my Marlin lever action .44mags. will see. I load 405gr. bullets in my guide gun, and even have some 525gr. loads from Beartooth Bullets that give me about 1800fps. out of my Guide Gun, talk about stopping power!! I agree that the .45 acp was designed aroung the 230gr. bullet and in 100 years as of 2011 its track record as a stopper is unequaled. BUT, I am in favor of the 125gr. JHP in the .357. It has been proven to be one of the best "fight stoppers" ever as far as I can determine. I am also going to try some 200gr. Hollowpoints in my Kimber 1911 for home defense, as per Allen Jones, a writer for Shooting Times magazine recommends. He is not just some hack either, He ran the Ballistic Lab for the Dallas PD for some years and was the senior editor for a couple of editions of the Speer reloading manuals. He does seem to know his beans and has been witness to the results of many, many shootings first hand, as well as having to diagnose the results. In addition to that, his opinion of what constitutes the most effective stopper for the .45 acp. makes a great deal of sense to me. A 200gr. Hollowpoint with the widest cavity going at the highest velocity you can RELIABLY get from your gun, about 950-1000fps. gives you a real big hole, good horsepower, (about 450+ ft/lbs)
and should be about as good a man stopper as you can expect from a handgun without too much overpenetration.
Anyhoo those are my thoughts on the subject. As always, YMMV.
Good Luck, Good shootin', and A HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU AND YOURS!!

GOD BLESS,
Willy Henderson

Page generated in 0.04883 seconds with 7 queries