View Single Post
Old October 17, 2010, 06:35 PM   #5
pax
Staff

Glenn, fiddletown ~

You're right. The cost of training can be a significant problem for some -- something I know personally all too well.

When I first started shooting over a decade ago, my husband and I had five young children at home, and lived entirely on my husband's low-end salary. Not an easy life, just the one we deliberately chose in order to rear our own homegrown children. Neither time nor money were easy to come by in those years... but when I decided to keep a defensive handgun on my hip, I made the decision to do whatever it took to get good training, too. A family friend purchased my first class for me, as a gift and as an encouragement. Bless him!

After that, I worked my tail off to get as much training as I could possibly manage, despite our financial circumstances. I scrounged and I wheeled and dealed and I just plain worked at finding ways to do it. I owe a deep and abiding debt to the friends who worked out three-cornered barter deals with me to get me into classes. I sorted and recycled brass, worked grungy weekend jobs, traded babysitting with friends (since I had five and most have two, those swaps always took far more of my time than a straight across swap could have done). To save money on ammunition, I learned to reload even though I hate reloading. I volunteered as an RO so that I could be the fly on the wall in other people's classes. I started writing articles so that I could beg for comp-spots in classes that weren't quite filled. Then I turned around and used my "spare time" (hah!) to volunteer and help train others so I could pay my karmic debts as well as my personal debts of gratitude. And I remain very, very grateful to several specific people who saw my plight and took pity on me and helped me learn what I needed to learn.

Gun people are some of the best, most generous people in the world. If I state this more strongly than others might, it's because I have more reason to know it than others do.

So yes, I do understand just a little bit about being broke and not being able to buy classes outright. And ... I stick by my primary point.

If it's important to you, you'll find a way. If it's not, you'll find an excuse.

pax

Page generated in 0.04311 seconds with 7 queries