View Single Post
Old September 15, 2010, 01:06 PM   #35
EricReynolds

I wasn't following at first, but I think I got the gist of the scenario now. It's crazy though when you think of how many straw purchases take place in which it's impossible for a dealer to have a suspicion the purchaser intends to buy the weapon for someone else. What if the actual buyer never enters the shop and sends in a buddy to make the purchase for him? Who's at fault there? The purchaser obviously, as the dealer would have no reasonable way of knowing. It's this way that most illegal guns make it on to the street, not from burglaries. This is the only real argument in favor of registration. I don't want to open that can of worms and talk about why it's wrong, I just want to show why it would work as far as straw purchases go. In NY, where you need a permit and they do register guns, if you make a straw purchase for someone who does not have a permit, and that person is caught with that gun, it will trace back to the permit holder. A cousin in GA could easily buy a gun for someone to bring back to NY. Back to the scenario in this thread, even i the dealer knew what was up, (which is stupid) I think the purchaser is at least equally guilty. The dealer could always plead ignorance that he really didn't understand what was going on, but the purchaser can't. The whole thing is ridiculous.

Page generated in 0.04534 seconds with 7 queries