View Single Post
Old August 18, 2010, 10:45 PM   #16
shooter_john

I didn't take enough time to read all of the posts I'd missed over the last few weeks, hopefully this will answer all of the questions I omitted in my last post...

For the first several holsters I made, I used my own personal guns. As things have progressed, I have built a small collection of Blue Guns, and I'm trying very hard not to use real guns any more than I have to. For custom orders though, I am usually having to use the customers gun if it is something out of the ordinary. Initially, I was using my own bodyweight as the press, which worked ok, but spending 5-10 minutes sitting on the simple press that I made was rather time consuming. I have since gotten a 12 ton shop press from Harbor Freight that is MUCH more efficient. I've also improved my molding techniques quite a bit, and am subsequently producing a much better looking product. With everything set-up and ready to rock, I can turn out about 3 fully handcrafted and finished holsters an hour.

As far as investment goes, I've got around $1200-$1500 tied up in equipment, tools, consumable materials, and Blue Guns, and if things continue progressing at the pace they have so far, I will be turning a profit my the end of the month. My biggest problem right now is time, since holster making is just a "hobby" and I still have a "real job". Luckily I have an AWESOME wife who is fully supportive of my new venture.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words!

Here is some of my newer stuff...

Page generated in 0.04741 seconds with 7 queries