View Single Post
Old August 7, 2010, 08:46 AM   #6
wittzo

Oh yeah!

I put the blunderbus out on the porch for an hour so it would acclimate and the sweat would evaporate.
I used the ragged French amber flint I've been using all this time and loaded it with 60 grains of Goex FFg Blackpowder and primed it with KIK 3F. I made some packets out of a page of an old phone book sort of like how I make paper cartridges for my rifles. I wrapped it around a half inch dowel rod and glued the edge with a glue stick and slid it to the concave end and folded it like a roll of coins. Poured 60 grains of shot in it and folded and glued the end to make a shot packet. I also used my 3/4" greased felt wads over the powder and tamped it home. The paper packet collapsed and acted as an over shot wad. I think I'm going to bump it up to 80 grains of shot like I load my Howdah, but I only use 45 grains of powder in it..More shot gives a tighter pattern with high density, more powder and the pattern opens up with less density. The flare at the end of the barrel just acts like a funnel for loading. It also acts like a muzzle brake, like a post-Renaissance Noveske Iron Pig.

It's also neat that the flare at the end of the barrel is spotless, the soot ends right where the barrel starts to bloom out.

Page generated in 0.04083 seconds with 7 queries